The history of Albany Kindergarten

The Māori name for the area of Albany is Okahukura (literally, ‘place of rainbows’ or ‘place of butterflies’) Take a journey through our history.

Te Tiriti o Waitangi

Treaty of Waitangi

1840

Albany School Officially Opens

Albany School was officially opened at Lucas Creek on 12th October

1876

The First Kindergarten In New Zealand

OPENED ON 10TH OF JUNE 1889 BY LAVINA KELSEY IN THE WALKER STREET MISSION HALL

1889

Albany A New Name

The town was originally known as Lucas Creek, but was renamed after Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, a son of Queen Victoria

1890

Community Of Albany

Showing people gathered for the Albany fruitgrowers annual show

1902

Lucas Creek

Upper Wharf from bridge over Lucas Creek

1910

Albany Kindergarten Fundraising

Albany Free Establishment Kindergarten committee raise funds for a Kindergarten build needed in their community

1986

The contract signing of Albany Kindergarten

Albany Kindergarten is officially agreed to be built beside Albany School

1986

Albany Kindergarten Site Proposed

Albany Kindergarten Site Proposed

1986

Albany Kindergarten Build

The Build Begins

1986

Albany Kindergarten 5th birthday

Albany Kindergarten celebrates 5th anniversary with the community

1991

Te Whariki

Our Bicultural curriculum was established

1996